Thursday 8 August 2013

Plagiarism Thursday

I like comics, I hope to draw a long form comic eventually.

So.... here's something I do sometimes, which is; to copy comic pages that I really like.
I like to try and figure out what I like about the page, usually it's the panel layout.

I usually wouldn't show anyone these drawings, because it's basically pure plagiarism, and also, just an exercise.

But I'm a turtle now, so;

Here are two pages I have stolen from the English language translation of Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo.
Specifically Volume 6. Pages 93 and 94.

I've copied the panel layout, the body positions, even most of the location geometry.
All I've changed are the characters and the dialogue.

I really like Otomo's shot choices in these pages, especially the shots around the window, and the way the action plays out, it's visually, very easy to follow and satisfying to read.

Anyhow, that's my drawing for this week.

Next week, something I haven't stolen.

- Tom

Panel Copy Exercise - Akira, Volume 6.  Pages 93 and 94


No comments:

Post a Comment